2010-05-31

Panksoppa

As you might know, children are superior when it comes to creating new words. In Sweden it's tradition to eat pea soup and then pancakes on Thursdays. Now it was a Sunday and we had vegetable soup and then pancakes. Either way, it's still pancakes and soup. In Swedish that would be "Pannkakor och soppa", which my two year old cousin conveniently referred to as "panksoppa".

But I didn't just learn a new word today. We did a lot of fun things! We went to the local playground to play on the swings, the seesaw, the slides and the monkey bars. When we were at home, we played with bubbles and we also drew a lot. Majken found out what happens if you don't hold the bubble bottle straight. You get bubble water all over your clothes and have to change! Luckily, it was the really sunny kind of day when getting water all over your clothes doesn't really bother you too much. It was all smiles either way!

Olga learned to play the keyboard a little. Not even five years old and she still could learn some simple songs! Yes, maybe she's not a wonderchild, but I still think it's pretty talented. There are plenty of grownups who can't even learn! I know it takes some time for me to learn a decent lenght keyboard song and then I might only remember it for a few weeks if I don't play it!

I know you don't need money to entertain a child, but it helps. When the girls want to draw I provide them with a pile of paper and a handful of various pens. A few hours later, about ten sheets of paper are doodled on, even though only three have proper drawings on them, my colored glue is empty and my pens are dry. Oh well. See, this is what I meant with the money thing. This doesn't really bother me as I can just buy more paper and pens anytime, a poor family might not afford this luxury.

Sure, I could be all economical and environmental and whatnot and teach them how to draw carefully and use both sides of the paper... But, why ruin their fun? And my rest. Children are quite intense, even if you're four people watching them! Even if you don't meddle in their play it's quite intense! Gotta love 'em. Peace and Love!

No comments: