2008-05-16

About My Cat

I have three cats. The youngest one is Gloria. She is six and a half years old now. She is like a daughter to me, so childish and affectionate and she is so very small, size-wise. Her biological mother and aunt are both castrated, but Gloria is still on the pill, I will have to make a difficult decision about her.

Alternative A: I don't castrate her or give her the pill anymore, I let her get pregnant. Sure, I don't mind kittens and this is the natural option, but, the thing is, she is so childish and innocent in her personality that I do not think she should have kittens. Also, her body is so very small, I am afraid of there being risks for such a small cat giving birth.

Alternative B: Have her castrated. Then she wouldn't risk getting pregnant and she wouldn't risk getting any tumors or poisoning from her birth control. But. I don't like people cutting in my cat. This is my perfect little girl and I don't want knives in her for no reason at all. Seems like a bad option unless it's absolutely urgent. Also. If if if if I would change my mind and think maybe she should have kittens, then I couldn't exactly have her castration reversed and the only chance for this cat family to have more kittens would be over - Our other cats are castrated. Also, when cats are castrated, their personalities might change and I am much attached to her personality. Wouldn't want her to suddenly become fat and lazy, just because she lost her girl-balls.

Alternative C: Keep her on the pill. No pregnancy. No cutting. Simple. The thing is though, the pill can be risky.

Alternative D: I heard of a weird thing... ...That you can put a q-tip in your cat's vagina to loosen the egg, when she ovulates. Might seem like mumbo jumbo, but apparently it is a thing that people actually do and it is apparently quite safe. The thing is though, I think that is for indoor-cats, because it is a bit difficult to tell exactly when to do this, by the time you notice she's in heat, it might be too late to loosen the egg.

No comments: